|Slavery Still Exists - SSE (Photo credit: Wolfram Burner)|
1. Nearly half of all slaves are in the sex trade. (46%)
2. This is followed by domestic slavery. (27%)
3. Our world contains more slaves than at any other time. (27 million globally)
4. Ninety dollars is the average cost of a slave. During the Civil War times, that cost was $40,000. With the cost of human beings so cheap, slave owners have no reason to conserve them. They are now disposable commodities.
5. Farmworkers are perhaps the poorest and most abused laborers in America. Around half of them earn less than $7500 annually, and their wages have been stagnant since the 1970s.
How much does your life impact enslavement? Here's a link to a survey that may give some surprising insight. http://slaveryfootprint.org/