Never does an Easter pass without one of these on my table.
In Christian legend, lilies:
- are sometimes call "The Apostles of Hope"
- are said to have sprung up in the Garden of Gethsemane where Christ's blood hit the ground
- are also said to be the product of Eve's tears when she was banished from the Garden of Eden
- are seen as a symbol of purity
- Lilies originated in Japan
- They had been grown in Bermuda until disease wiped them out
- Most of our bulbs now come from the southern Oregon/northern California coast
- To prolong their blooms, remove the anthers before the pollen forms
- Keep cool, relatively well watered
Lilies, with their scent and milky purity are among my favorite flowers. What are yours?