Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wacked-Out Words

Where'd we get these words?

So many words to keep track of!.Image via Wikipedia
  1. pulchritude--means great beauty. Sounds like me after food poisoning.
  2. flummoxed--confused? Again, sounds like the after effects of food poisoning.
  3. bung hole--sounds obscene to me. It's just a hole drilled into a barrel with a cork in it.
  4. concupiscence--sounds like problems with the urinary track--but it means sensual desire, lust
  5. synecdoche--I could never say this even though I had to teach it. It's a metaphor--like arm of the law for cop. The arm's a part of the cop. The ABCs represent the alphabet.
Can you give me some of your favorites? Maybe they'll show up here!
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. DIAPAUSE...a period of physiologically enforced dormancy between periods of activity (although it sounds like what a diabetic goes thru when she hits about 56...LOL)

    ReplyDelete