Monday, May 9, 2016

Perfection Changes

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 1 Cor. 13:12

Veruska, you look good
By: Carol McClain @carol_mcclain


Aside from God, perfection changes.

Or the idea of perfection.

My mother, who birthed five children, always battled her weight. However, her mother would decry, "Verushka, you're too skinny."

Mom knew it was time to diet when Grandma said to her one day, "Verushka, you look good. Healthy."

We hold super (anorexic) models as a standard of perfection, yet we ooh and ahh over Rubens' heavy ladies.

Thinness is a today's standards. Not yesterday's.

How has our perception of perfection changed?:


Do you see what God sees?
  1. Tattoos. As a child, those covered in tattoos were relegated to circus side-shows. Now everyone has a "sleeve" of multi-colored tattoos. Even among the tattoo aficionado, what constitutes a perfect tat? A skull? A rose? Pooh-Bear?
  2. Fat Lips. Yes, I'm dating myself. As a child, Kewpie-doll lips were the standard. Sweet, bow-shaped lips. Today we stuff them with as much collagen as our pocketbooks afford.
  3. Tans. In the 1800s women used parasols to protect themselves from the sun. A dark skin would indicate they had to work outside. Today, even in the South in summer, women hit the tanning beds in order to have a dark, glowing skin.
  4. Weight. My grandmother immigrated from Belarus. Poverty denied people enough food. Therefore, being chubby became a sign of beauty.
  5. Clothing styles. Is it cool to wear jeans falling off your hips? Low cut blouses? Flouncy bows? Pleated skirts?
  6. Multi-colored hair.
  7.  Acceptance of homosexuality and same-sex marriage.
  8. Endorsement of abortion.
  9. Being able to wear jeans to church.
  10. Organ and hymns in church.
  11. Church services three times a week.
  12. Female ministers
Everyone's ideal looks different.
Everyone has a different standard of perfection. As I said in prior posts, I could never attain my legalistic church's ideal--and I learned then that I lacked.

You don't need to meet anyone's expectation of perfection, because we all see through a glass darkly. Striving for perfection is a thief of joy.

How have you seen society's or the church's standards change through the years?

Quick Tweets


No comments:

Post a Comment