|A Little Folly|
My house sparkled. The floor spread before me, spotless, nary a speck of dust lay on my highly polished furniture, and sunlight sparkled through pristine windows. I inhaled deeply. And what did I smell? A dead rodent.
My country house had been plagued by one varmint, or maybe two. I tucked d-Con behind the plumbing under my sink, and a tiny mouse must have eaten deeply, the crawled into the walls and died.
The results? No matter how my house gleamed, the stench of decay ruined the effect.
What is a little folly like?
- one tiny stain on a white shirt
- a speck of lettuce between your front teeth
- a smudge of mascara under the eyelids
- a small crack on the driver's side windshield
- cheap perfume in a crowded opera house
- one dollar overdrawn the day before payday
- one hair in your vichyssoise
- one flu virus
- a grain of sand in your running shoes
- forgotten antiperspirant on a job interview