|Bassoon (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Technicalities aside, how you ask? Glad to answer.
- Lonely time. You spend hours alone, creating, honing, perfecting. And you know you are GOOD. (Until you hit rehearsal or receive the correct copy from your crit partner).
- Never perfect. Your rehearsal/crit demonstrate your weakness, so you spend the next week perfecting.
- Hit the wall. Your embouchure or your muse walks out on you. You threaten to walk out on the whole lifestyle.
- Rehearsal (AKA Conference). You get to celebrate with like-minded geeks who love nothing more than to spend hours practicing and sharing their craft.
- Performance. When you're ready to quit, then the performance comes. You get to dress up, put on make-up (hopefully only if you're female). The house is packed. For writers, you get your contract.